AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq is the current governor of Kwara State, who took office in 2019, on the platform of the All Progressives Congress. He is a businessman and philanthropist.
He was born on 5th February 1960, in Zaria, Kaduna State to the family of the first lawyer from Northern Nigeria, Alhaji Abdulganiyu Folorunsho (AGF) AbdulRazaq, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN), who holds the prominent traditional titles of Mutawalli Ilorin and Tafida of Zazzau (Zaria). Abdulrahman hails from Ilorin West Local Government in Kwara Central. He is a Muslim, married to Olufolake Molawa Davies AbdulRazaq, with three sons. He speaks Yoruba, English, and Hausa fluently.
Abdulrahman made history when he was 29 years old, by establishing NOPA Oil Services, the first indigenous company to trade crude oil and petroleum products to global markets (United States, Europe and Asia), and also to import crude oil and petroleum products into Nigeria.
|Government College, Kaduna State
|West African Senior School Certificate
|Bishop Smith Memorial School, Ilorin, Kwara State
|Capital School, Kaduna State
|First Fuels Limited
|Chief Executive Officer
|NOPA Oil Services
Zaria, Kaduna State
5th February 1960
All Progressives Congress
Governor, Kwara State (since 2019)
AbdulRazaq’s political journey began in 1999 when Nigeria returned to democracy. He unsuccessfully contested for the governorship seat of Kwara State in 2003, 2007 and 2011, on the platform of Congress for Progressive Change (CPC). He also ran for the senatorial seat representing Kwara Central Senatorial District, on the platform of the People’s Democratic Party in 2011 and 2015 – all to no avail.
However, he won the gubernatorial primary election of All Progressives Congress in October 2018 and went on to win the general Kwara State gubernatorial elections in March 2019. Abdulrazaq emerged the Governor of Kwara State, after receiving 331,546 votes to defeat the closest rival, Razaq Atunwa of the People’s Democratic Party, who got 114,754 votes.
He will be contesting to retain his current position as the governor of Kwara State in the 2023 election
Blunt style of leadership.
Awards & Honours
- 2021 Leadership Newspaper Governor of the Year Award
- 2020 United Nations “HeforShe” Award, for his cabinet picks, which mainstreamed gender inclusion in Kwara State’s political structure.
- Donation of Braille learning tools, educational aids and equipment to School of the Blind, Ilorin and Pacelli School of the Blind
- Introduction of KwaraLEARN
- Rehabilitation of Kwara State Stadium Complex, Ilorin
- Initiated the AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq’s (AA) talent hunt football programme
- Construction/reconstruction of 143 roads in Kwara State since the inception of administration
- Remodelling of dental centre and establishment of eye clinic complex at General Hospital Ilorin
- Construction of ICT Innovation Hub, Ilorin
- Launched a social audit program in Kwara State, which enables civic groups and communities to audit government projects and save public funds
- Initiated the KwaraLEARN program for Kwara State teachers to be empowered with digital tools for better learning outcomes in public schools
- Facilitated several women and youth empowerment programs with vocational training, provision of start-up capital, and provision of tools
In 2021, the Kwara State chapter of the People’s Democratic Party, criticized Governor Abdulrahman AbdulRazaq over the unlawful detention of a social critic and opposition figure, Olusegun Olushola, aka Sholyment. The party noted that Olushola honoured the invitation of the Police and was subsequently detained on the order of Governor AbdulRazaq. Thus, the Governor was accused of reckless abuse of power and an infringement on the critic’s fundamental human rights.